- Karma Yoga Programme
Karma Yoga Programme
Ashram de Yoga Sivananda
Interested in serving others? In deepening into yourself?
Karma Yoga, or selfless service, is the first of the Four Paths of Yoga, and according to the great yogis like Swami Sivananda, it is the foundation on which all Yogic practice is based.
Time and again, great yogis guide us to the wisdom of purifying our heart. There is no better way to achieve this than through selfless service.
Our Karma Yoga programme at the Ashram de Yoga Sivananda is an amazing opportunity to be a part of a non-profit Sivananda organization that extends the world over – a global community of practitioners looking to do good in the world, to deepen their practice, and to live for something bigger than themselves.
Come experience the unique gifts of Karma Yoga. Open into yourself. Cultivate lasting friendships. Observe the transformation that comes with selfless service.
Serve. Love. Give. Purify. Meditate. Realize.
- "The salt of life is selfless service.The bread of life is universal love."- Swami Sivananda
The Yoga of Selfless Service
What is Karma Yoga?
When action is done without the expectation of fruits, then all the negative qualities like egoism, hatred, jealousy, ideas of superiority, and selfishness begin to vanish. We develop a broad and liberal outlook on life and feel oneness and unity.
A Peek In
Life as a Karma Yogi
Sharing in Community
Practicing yoga raises our energy and vibration level, and yet maintaining a regular practice alone can still prove challenging. Practicing in a dedicated group with common goals can help overcome this difficulty. Join a team of diverse individuals united by a common goal of personal growth and feel the difference a supportive community can make. The Ashram is a place of high and pure energy in which your desire for growth will feel nurtured and expanded.
Connecting in Nature
Breathe clean fresh air in the Orleans forest, the largest forested area in France. It is an enchanting spread of fields and forests full of birdsong and conducive to meditation and silent walks. The grounds have many gardens and lawns shaded by beautiful, tall, ancient trees under which to practice and reconnect with nature.
Deepening your Practice
Find space, support and guidance to move deeper into your practice. The schedule provides time for one daily yoga class, personal practice and selfless service. Personal experience will be given context through regular satsang and daily staff meetings. Spiritual teaching and advice is also provided by senior staff on a regular basis.
Lineage & Gurukula Tradition
Connect to the lineage of Swami Sivananda, one of authentic, ancient yogic teachings kept alive through the gurukula tradition. This lineage connects to the source of knowledge and has been flowing in the Sivananda organization now for over 60 years.
Become an Ambassador for Peace
Swami Vishnudevananda opened his ashrams as havens of peace where serious seekers could come and be trained in becoming authentic yogis. The keynote of his teaching was selfless service of humanity. He encouraged his students to feel committed to this inspiring mission: becoming an ambassador for peace through teaching yoga to all who are interested and being an example of self-discipline.
A Yoga of Synthesis
We are each a beautiful integration of 4 personality aspects (heart, intellect, mind and hand). To grow and have well-rounded personal development we work with all these aspects of ourselves. You will have opportunities to develop new practical skills: teaching yoga classes, dealing with many types of people from diverse cultures, learning team work and communication skills.. From “potato to God”, as Swami Sivananda put it.
Serve. Love. Give.
- Guided morning and evening Satsang (meditation, chanting, lecture)
- Staff meeting
- 1 hr 45min yoga class
- 2 nutritious vegetarian meals
- Selfless service: Karma Yoga Vacation : 3.5 hours - 50% of the Yoga Vacation rates Full-time : 8 hours minimum - 100€ donation for first month
- Personal time and relaxation
- Personal study
- Staff Svadyahya (weekly meeting with senior staff and swamis)
- Applicants must be willing to follow the guidance from senior staff members regarding karma yoga duties and spiritual practice
- Attendance at the morning and evening meditation and one yoga class daily is mandatory.
- Alcohol, tobacco, meat, fish, eggs, coffee and drugs are prohibited on the premises.
- October – April: in shared rooms (3-6 beds).
- May – September: please bring your own tent, airbed and sleeping bag.
Karma Yoga Programme
Serving at the Ashram de Yoga Sivananda while studying what classical Yoga has to offer can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life. Whether you come for a short time or an extended stay, participating in the community both spiritually and physically helps with the upkeep of the ashram and also helps to foster and deepen the values instilled by a Yogic lifestyle for all who commit to the Karma Yoga Programme.
* We mainly need support in our kitchen and housekeeping departments but depending on your skills and the length of your stay you will also be trained in fields such as gardening, interpreting lectures, doing the reception and helping in the Yoga Shop. For Sivananda Yoga teachers staying longer than 3 months there is also the possibility of assisting and teaching asana classes.*